Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Journey from Prince George to Terrace -- May 14

We departed Prince George this morning heading for Terrace. With only one appointment and a BBQ scheduled, we felt a little more relaxed this morning. Our mid-morning stop was in Vanderhoof to meet with Bob Clark of Ducks Unlimited. The only hitch was not having a clear indication of where we were meeting. We did notice a duck on a big wooden sign so we pulled in. Well, it was the Vanderhoof sign. Obviously, a photo was needed and the rubber chicken had to have a ride on the duck's back. Yes, we've gotten a little goofier.
We continued down the road I guess hoping for some divine guidance as we had no address. We passed a white truck on the side of the road. The gentleman was on the phone outisde the vehicle. Kristen immediately said his attire looked like that of a birder so we turned around. Sure enough, this was Bob, a volunteer with Ducks Unlimited. Where we met Bob was a relatively recent acquisition for DU. This marshy area had previously been over-grazed. This project was part of a compensatory mitigation effort. A new runway had been put in Prince George so the mitigation for the change in land use was this particular property. In this part of British Columbia, Ducks Unlimited is seen as the primary contact for mitigation. There definitely was a lot of ducks, geese and other birds in the vicinity as we spoke with Bob.

We left Bob at the local Tim Horton's (I think there is at least one in each town!). At this point we have been in BC for seven days and we are on the wildlife hunt! I'm not talking about squirrels or deer. We're talking bears, moose and elk. We started really looking as we drove down the highway. Kristen and I decided we'd better do whatever we could to document the existence of moose since our opportunities to see one would become more limited as we headed to the coast. Well, the picture says it. The sign would have to do for now. I'm not totally convinced there are moose in Canada. The pictures I've seen make it look like a neat animal. Must be lots of people who come to Canada to look for moose right? Ecotourism maybe? I can see it now, a room of Canadians saying "Let's tell people we have moose, put signs up warning them and watch all the Southerners come look for them." Sounds like a good idea. I jest but hopefully we'll see the real deal before we leave Canada.


By the time we hit Smithers, we were in dire need of food (ok, we definitely could have survived given the volume of food we've already eaten on this trip). We decided on Louise's Kitchen. To our surprise it was a wonderful Ukranian restaurant. I had a delightful perogie dish. As many people we passed were wondering, Louise asked about our clothing. We had been attracting attention all through BC when we walk in somewhere all wearing the same clothes (I'm sure that we also get attention for the 4 women and 1 man team!). We told Louise that we were on a Rotary study tour and Louise told us the Rotary Club meets in her restaurant! So we left Louise with our information, a South Carolina Rotary pin and the Rotary District's flag to pass on to the local Club. After lunch, we took a quick look around Smithers. You see more moose "advertising" in the picture below.



The town had beautiful views of the mountains. Unfortunately, every view of the mountains also afforded us with views of power lines. Oh well.


This is definitely a tourist type area imitating a Bavarian town. With that in mind, I went to take a picture of a figure in the median and found it next to impossible not to have Movie Gallery or some other sign of modern life also in the shot.


The team piled back in to continue the drive to Terrace. I've really been enjoying looking at the aspen and birch bark everywhere. I really love seeing the white bark. This picture is of aspen.

The scenery continued to amaze all of us. What incredible views the residents have!

Our traveling companion, rubber chicken Russken, moved to the well in the dash for a premium view!


The next stop was at the K'San Museum in Hazelton. The bridge we crossed to get there generated a lot of audible gasps. We would be driving back over the same bridge on the way back from our detour to the Museum. We were unable to go in most of the Museum buildings but there was a great exhibit on the K'San and salmon fishing. There was also an exhibit on traditional clothing and tools. Outside the museum there were several totem poles.

The added treat for me was the unobstructed view of the mountains!




We headed back over the one-lane bridge. The bridge had a walking lane that provided excellent views of the water below.




The "important" Kodak moment though was catching those funky things that are Canada. In Haxelton on the side of the road were these figures representing forestry. I had to get this guy. Maybe I can find one for my house!

The views continued the rest of the way to Terrace. The river continued to command our attention with its power and beauty. This is the Skeena River, one of many we have followed so far on our journey.


We also saw the mountains known as the Seven Sisters. Very impressive!


The day ended in Terrace. The local Rotarians were having a BBQ for us, our hosts and some local foresters. I had a wonderful time chatting with a consulting forester. It was so interesting to learn what types of work he does in BC. Paul had some great questions about Southern forestry. It appears that the forestry community in BC has heard of TIMOs (timberland investment management organization) and has some concerns about their ownership/management of land. Since I had worked with those organizations we were able to have a great conversation.
Paul's little boy Jesse had been running around. I loved just watching him explore. He's two and since Max is only 3.5 years old, Jesse really reminded me of Max. Paul had decided based on my background that he and his wife Lisa would host me for the night. I jokingly mentioned to Paul that I thought moose didn't really exist and it was all a big joke. Paul told me he had moose jerky at home! Jesse turned into a great excuse to leave and head back to the house so he could go to bed. I hear everyone had a great time at the BBQ. I was glad to get to the house for some rest.
We got to the Hanna's house and immediately had some moose jerky (remember my think about eating different foods? I'm at least trying what is offered). The jerky was tasty and Paul sent me with some for the rest of the journey. Paul worked on Jesse's bath and bedtime while Lisa and I took the dog for a walk through the neighborhood park. The park was full of big trees (aspen, Douglas fir and cedar). I had a wonderful time talking with Lisa about forestry (she had worked for the Ministry), our families, and where we lived. This was definitely a good match for me. I look forward to keeping in touch with the Hanna's.

1 comment: